– Quarterback Dan Radabaugh engineered an offensive surge for defending ArenaBowl champion Philadelphia in the second half leading the Soul to a 56-52 win over Tampa Bay, Saturday evening. But the Storm (1-1) provided some excitement, especially on defense, in its home opener in front of 9,071 screaming fans.
Ings, the speedster out of Miami, caught seven passes for 137 yards and two touchdown, but electrified the 9,071, with his nine kick-off returns, the second of the game for a 55-yard touchdown. He was named theOffensive of Player of the Game.
Ings also broke the franchise record for all-purpose yards with 346 in the game, 209 of those on kickoff returns.
Randy Hippeard, returning to the Storm after a two-year hiatus, completed 20-of-33 passes for 292 yards and a game-high six touchdowns.
Radabaugh led the Soul (1-0) connecting on 22-of-31 passes for 257 yards and five touchdowns.
The first half was a carousel of carelessness by both teams. The Storm and Soul combined for four out of eight extra point attempts.
The Storm took a 25-20 lead with 6:21 in the second quarter on a Hippeard’s second touchdown toss to LaMark Brown from nine yards out. But the extra point attempt turned into a bad snap and kicker Mark Lewis’s pass was intercepted in the end zone and runback for a 2-point defensive touchdown.
The Souls ensuing drive ended with fullback Mykel Benson’s 1-yard touchdown run and the kicked extra point gave Philly a 29-25 lead.
The Storm return to action at home next week, Saturday, April 22 at 7:00 p.m. against the Cleveland Gladiators.
The evening is $1 Night as fans will be able to take advantage of discounts at concessions stands. For more information visit
Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 Total
Philadelphia Soul 20 9 7 20 56
Tampa Bay Storm 13 12 6 21 52
Ryan McDaniel 19-yard pass from Dan Radabaugh (kick failed). 10:21.
– LaMark Brown 6-yard pass from Randy Hippeard (Mark Lewis kick). 6:35.
– Chris Devault 27-yard pass from Radabaugh (Adrian Trevino kick). 4:05.
– Kendrinck Ings 55-yard kickoff return (kick failed). 3:10.
– Darius Reynolds 35-yard pass from Radabaugh (Trevino kick). 1:23.
– Justin Hilton 39-yard pass from Hippeard. (kick failed) 14:53.
– L. Brown 9-yard pass from Hippeard. (pass failed) 6:21.
– Torez Jones 2-point defensive touchdown. 6:21.
– Mykel Benson 1-yard run (Trevino kick) 0:05.
Benson 2-yard run (Trevino kick) 8:10.
– Hippeard 7-yard run (pass failed) 2:52.
– Reynolds 3-yard pass from Radabaugh (Trevino kick) 10:52.
– Ings 45-yard pass from Hippeard (Lewis kick) 9:06.
– Reynolds 2-yard pass from Radabaugh (kick failed) 3:10.
– Ings 11-yard pass from HIppeard (Joe Hills pass from Lewis) 1:19.
– Reynolds 11-yard kickoff return (Trevino kick) 00:57.
– Hills 2-yard pass from Hippeard (kick failed) 00:30.
Dan Radabaugh (22-31-1-257-5).
– Randy Hippeard (20-33-1-292-6).
Mykel Benson (17-25-2), Dan Radabaugh (1-(-6)-(-6).
– LaMark Brown (1-(06)-(-06), Randy Hippeard 5-49-0(4-44-1)
Shaun Kauleinamoku (5-49-0), Ryan McDaniel (9-87-1), Darius Reynolds (5-78-3) Chris Duvault (1-27-1) Mykel Benson (2-16-0).
– Kendrick Ings (7-137-2), Joe Hills (5-62-1), LaMark Brown (4-37-2), Justin Hilton (3-48-1), John Brown (1-8-0)
KO Returns: (No.-Yds-TD)
Darius Reynolds (2-8-0), Chris Duvault (5-78-0)
– Kendrick Ings (9-209-1)
Offensive Player of the Game
: WR-KR Kendrick Ings, Tampa Bay
Defensive Player of the Game:
DB Cortez Stubbs, Tampa Bay
MVP of the Game:
WR Darius Reynolds, Philadelphia